It could be waiting for you in a chaise lounge with a book, a cup of tea and a 2 year old when you feel like there's something else you should be doing.
It could be hiding in a hilariously loud and ridiculous argument between you, your husband, your sister and her boyfriend over what constitutes as a "Disney Classic" that leaves everyone laughing and no one right in the end, according to Wikipedia.
It could be...right in front of me, and I'm brushing it aside so that I can do what I think I need to do so I have time to experience some joy.
It could be hiding in a hilariously loud and ridiculous argument between you, your husband, your sister and her boyfriend over what constitutes as a "Disney Classic" that leaves everyone laughing and no one right in the end, according to Wikipedia.
It could be...right in front of me, and I'm brushing it aside so that I can do what I think I need to do so I have time to experience some joy.
So, I'll do myself a favor. I won't brush it aside. Because at the end of my race to joy is more road and less joy. So I'll sit in the chair with my kid, and share a cup of tea (you can pretend it's decaf if it makes you feel less like I'm a bad mother), and read a book. Or two, or three. And laugh at myself and everyone else during a silly argument. I'll look around the room and realize just what it is that makes being a family so special.
I found out this week that I can go to sleep and feel like I lived that day. That maybe not every second counted, but a lot of them did. And that, gives me joy.
I found out this week that I can go to sleep and feel like I lived that day. That maybe not every second counted, but a lot of them did. And that, gives me joy.
aaaaah katy, i love this. so good. and such a wonderful reminder not to look past the things we see everyday. thanks friend.
ReplyDeleteps. i miss you, especially today.
I love how you said this: "Because at the end of my race to joy is more road and less joy." SOOO true. I fight this battle too, constantly reminding myself that life is not just one big to do list like I sometimes treat it. Totally relate!
ReplyDelete