Tuesday, September 6, 2011

One Thousand Gifts

A friend of mine, not knowing yet of the quest I am on to experience joy; to slow down time; to live FULLY...recommended this book to me:

(and this friend says she doesn't have the gift of prophecy...yeah, whatever!!)

Anyhow... WOW. Talk about a woman who is (was) right where I am. Who is learning about re-focusing the lens on her life. She goes through a year of finding 3 things each day that she is thankful for and either writes them in journals throughout the house or she photo journals thems. She goes until 1,000 and her journey has a name that she keeps referring back to:

Eucharisteo.
Thankfulness, Grace, Joy.
And in that order.

Though I didn't have the fancy, uber appropriate name for my journey...it is the same.

How can we have a full, joyous life if we don't first experss thanks for what we have (regardless of what it is... or isn't)?

How can we expect to receive joy if we don't accept grace, and oh yeah, GIVE grace?

I'm not talking about happiness, people.

Happiness, by definition is: A state of well-being and contentment.
Joy, by definition is: to take great pleasure; rejoice. Intense and especially ecstatic or exultant happiness.
Oh yeah, that's what I'm after!

One of the greatest reflections (so far...) in this book is when she talks to her brother-in-law, whose two sons were born with birth defects and both died before they were a couple months old, a year apart. She tells him that if she were writing the story, it would have a different ending.
He reminds her of the story of Hezekiah.


Bible lesson: Hezekiah is a man who was dying, who pleaded with God to bless him for the good he had done and to let him live. God fulfills his request and adds 15 years to his life. Three years after the day that Hezekiah was supposed to die, his son Manasseh was born. Manasseh succeeded his father as king at the age of 12.
2 Chronicles 33:9 says this of Manasseh's time as King: "But Manasseh led Judah and the people of Jerusalem astray, so that they did more evil than the nations the Lord had destroyed before the Israelites".


...The brother-in-law explains that if he asked for a different ending, there's no guarantee that it will be a better ending.

So, yes, I will be thankful for what I do have...a husband who I'm crazy about, a daughter who lights up my days, a blend of the best family (sisters, brothers, step, half, in-laws) and friends who love me and support me...and read my boring blog (yes, you!).

And yes, I will be thankful for what I don't have...and I will never ask for a different ending because I fully trust that God has written it exactly as it should go.

2 comments:

  1. amen. i love this katy. and i am always thinking about you and praying for you. i am so blessed to have you in my life!! LOVE you tons.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a selected account, use anonymous, but please include your name :)