The last words of my blog went like this: "And yes, I will be thankful for what I don't have...and I will never ask for a different ending because I fully trust that God has written it exactly as it should go."
That was 12:45 in the afternoon. 11 hours later began the start of the hardest week of my life. My sister had had a severe asthma attack at work. At first it appeared that she was going to be ok but Wednesday morning's EEG and MRI proved otherwise. We were in for a battle. On the way up to Phoenix I prayed that I would have a supernatural faith in God, that He would give me trust in Him that I had never known I was capable of. We prayed over Amanda for 7 days.
In those 7 days, God sent strangers to pray with me. A nurse grabbed my hand and said a quick but meaningful prayer. The guy who came from the prosthetics company to put boots on Amanda shared stories of miraculous healings and prayed over her with me. I was sitting outside of Starbucks and a guy and girl pulled up and came to talk to me and said that they saw me and were urged to come pray with me. These people encouraged me, and reminded me that God can be glorified through miracles but He can also be glorified through death, as He was with Christ.
Wednesday afternoon, a week after Amanda had gone into a coma, I was still whispering in her ear, "Talitha koum". I was still so completely (supernaturally, for me) trusting that God could heal her. I was also completely and supernaturally trusting that if He did not heal her, that it was His perfect will.
Wednesday evening at 7:49, I said good-bye to my sister for the last time. And all I could think was, 'Lord, you have written this story. Who am I to ask for a different ending?' I prayed for supernatural faith and trust, and I got it. I did not waiver in my belief that God could heal her. I still believe that God could have healed her. But I also believe that because He didn't, that this was His plan for her. That in her death, God can be glorified. God has promised us sorrow in this life, but He has also promised that all things work for the good of those who love Him.
I will miss my sister. I will miss her gorgeous light green eyes. Her contagious smile and laugh. Her love of all things purple, sparkles, and rhinestones. Her glitter nail polish. The way her car smelled. Her ability to call you out with such truth and wisdom. Her hugs. Our inside jokes. Our off-key renditions of Garth Brooks, WhiteSnake and Boston songs. Our texts, and emails, and unspoken understanding of one another.If you knew her, you loved her. And if you didn't know her, I hope you know the one true God, so you will get to know her one day.
Katy, I am crying while reading this. God doesn't always work in the way we expect Him to, does He? Katy, I love you so much and I didn't know your sister but I know she's probably dancing with Jesus and all of her friends and loved ones who have gone before her. The faith you have is incredible and something that I can only hope and strive for! I love you very much and if you need anything just let me know :)
ReplyDeleteLove,
Beth Nelson
Katy, words escape me right to express how truly beautiful this was to read. As I read the tears flowed and I was left with a smile. You are amazing and your faith and trust in the sovereignty of God has not only inspired but also challenged me. You are beautiful, inside and out and this was a word fitly spoken.
ReplyDeleteAll my love,
Cara
aaahh, ugh...oh the mysteries of life and christ. my heart ached as i read this. but not in a bad way. i know that God is so in the midst of it all and i am humbled by your faith and joy in all circumstances. i talk all the time about not being bound by circumstances but that we can truly choose joy in all things...and you have embodied that. And that doesn't mean there is an absence of pain, but such faith and trust in the middle of that pain.
ReplyDeletegosh i miss you. and i love you. like a lot. and i cant wait to hug you.
By far, the most POWERFUL blog post I have ever read in my life. Love you! <3, chel
ReplyDeleteKaty my condolences to you and to your family. I know that I know that I know our Mighty God, is glorified by your courageous testimony. Your genuineness and love for your sister shines so bright. Everyone who reads this blog will be touched as much as I have. May God continue to comfort you and your family.
ReplyDeleteTo God be the Glory,
Carmela