Sean and I have never been "daters". Even when we were dating, most of our dates were just hanging out and watching our favorite tv shows and movies together or playing a board game.
Over the years I've had several friends ask me why Sean and I don't go on real dates. And I didn't know how to answer them. Why didn't we?? We like each other. A lot. And we go out to eat as a family almost every Sunday afternoon. So why couldn't we go out to a nice restaurant, just the two of us?
I talked to Sean about it and we started putting money aside for date nights. We'd end up spending it on something else, but neither one of us made a big deal over it. This continued even after we were married with a child, when everyone told us it was really important to go out on dates together. So if it was so important, why couldn't we do it?
Sean and I were out to dinner recently, doing our norm- watching other people, scarfing down our food and talking sporadically about...I don't remember what, but it wasn't exciting or interesting. (Am I the only one that thinks that "date" talk should be fun and exciting and you should laugh a lot so everyone around you knows that you're having a good time?) Anyhow, not that I had been thinking that there was something "wrong" with our relationship, but I had a moment that night where I realized that Sean and I just aren't the dating type. Never have been, never will be. And that's okay.
We have better conversations from the comfort of our couch, or at the kitchen table eating a homemade meal. Our "dates" usually happen after we put Brylee to bed and then head downstairs to watch the latest episode of Modern Family, or a movie, or we talk and play a game. Ok, sometimes he plays Modern Warfare 3 while I zone out on Pinterest. Ok, I'm usually on Pinterest no matter what we're doing. But I swear I'm really good at multitasking. Other times we stick Brylee in her stroller and we walk around a track nearby for an hour or so. And even when Brylee stays the night with Sean's mom and dad, we might run some errands and then go right back home to lounge. And we like it that way!
The point is that we make time for each other, to talk to each other and do things that we enjoy together. And I love that we can do those things in our pajamas!
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you don't have a selected account, use anonymous, but please include your name :)